Sunday, May 22, 2011

WHEN I GROW UP by Al Yankovic, illustrated by Wes Hargis

Lexile:    930          Pages:    28          Ages:     6-9
 AR Quiz No. 143069 EN Fiction
  IL: LG - BL: 4.8 - AR Pts: 0.5
  AR Quiz Types: RP

Who doesn't love Weird Al? Now you have a new way to love him - as a children's author!

Every Thursday at noon is show and tell in Mrs. Krupp's second grade class and this week the subject is "What I want to be when I grow up," a subject that is one of Billy's favorite things to think about.  Billy is thrilled when he is chosen to give the first presentation! In elaborate rhyme, Billy tells the class about his desire to become a world-famous chef, making sumptuous dishes like rigatoni with sauteed black truffles and pickled baloney, which he can keep in my humble opinion! : ) Guess I'm just a cheeseburger type of girl!

Mrs. Krupp thanks him for his presentation and Billy replies, "Hold the phone now, I haven't departed. Hang on to your seats, 'cause I'm just getting started!" He goes on to describe other careers he has considered, each one more fanciful than the next: snail trainer, milking giraffes, gorilla masseuse, and many more. Kids will get a real kick out of some of the jobs Billy wants to try! Finally Mrs. Krupp stops Billy and tells him he needs to make up his mind, which one is he going to choose? Billy goes on to tell her about his Great Grandpa Bob, who at 103 has tried many things and hasn't yet decided on what he wants to be, so since Billy is only 8 maybe she would cut him some slack if he leaves his options open and heck, he just might have time to do all of those things!

I love Billy's attitude! I am a great believer in following your dreams. I also think your dream can change as your life progresses, so you should always keep your options as open as possible. Too often adults try to push children to choose a career much too early, when they should still just enjoy being a kid.

When I Grow Up is best read aloud to younger children as some of the vocabulary might be over their heads but the rhyming and text have a good rhythm and the kids love the imaginative career paths that Billy considers. I think this book would be a fun addition to any collection.

Happy Reading,
Miss Laurie

Pick up a copy of When I Grow Up at the Lake County Public Library or click here http://tinyurl.com/7hh2b44 and with your library card number and PIN order a copy for pick-up at any branch.

No comments:

Post a Comment