Thursday, August 16, 2012

JINKA JINKA JELLY BEAN by Molly Dingles, illustrated by Aimee Bingler


Lexile     Not Rated               Pages     34               Ages 4 - 8
 AR Quiz No. 49489 EN Fiction
  IL: LG - BL: 2.4 - AR Pts: 0.5
  AR Quiz Types: RP

This book is beautifully illustrated.  The pictures are friendly and non-threatening, done in lovely colors that catch the reader's eye. However, it looks so friendly that children may pick it up randomly and end up with questions that parents aren't yet ready to answer.

If adults are, in fact, using the book to introduce death to a young child, it may make the children easier in their minds about where their loved one has gone, but does nothing to help them deal with their personal feelings of loss and sadness.

I personally feel that Jinka Jinka Jelly Bean may make the afterlife too appealing, making children want to go there without understanding that once there, they can never return.

Happy Reading,
Miss Laurie

Jinka Jinka Jelly Bean can be checked out at any Lake County Public Library, or click here http://tinyurl.com/8jhjxrf  and with your library card number and PIN you can place a hold for easy pickup at your favorite branch.



1 comment:

  1. I agree. I was in preschool when the author came to my school with the book and my whole class got a copy. I was roughly 4 and I had no idea what the story was about but I liked where Jinka went and how she became the queen. It wasn't until years later my mom told me what it was really about and I cried because I didn't know kids could die at a young age. My favorite book made me sad and I didn't read it again.

    ReplyDelete